I have a core exercise for you for the Home Exercise of the Week. It’s called Crunch and Hold Leg Scissors and if you’re familiar with Pilates then you’ll notice a similarity with this one.
Crunch and Hold Leg Scissors will work your lower abdominals as well as your hip flexors and for an added bonus the crunch and hold will isometrically work your upper abdominals. So you know what that means….muscle burn time!
Let’s take a look at the key points to doing Crunch and Hold Leg Scissors properly.
- lay face up on your mat and raise your legs to a 45 degree angle keeping them as straight as possible.
- reach towards your toes with your hands by crunching up until your shoulders are off the floor. Avoid going too high as this can strain your back and avoid tucking your chin in to your chest.
- while holding the crunch, lower one leg until it is about an inch or two off the floor then return to the starting position and repeat with the other leg.
- ensure that you are pulling your belly button in towards your spine to achieve optimal ab contraction and to avoid straining your lower back.
- if you find that your back is arching or hurting while doing this exercise then don’t lower your legs as far down. You can also just do a crunch while holding your legs up and not doing the scissor movement.
So there you have Crunch and Hold Leg Scissors. Get those abs burning by adding a couple sets of 20 to 30 repetitions to your ab routine or add it in to a superset to get an even bigger metabolic boost!