HOME EXERCISE OF THE WEEK
I have another great ab exercise for you to try this week called the Bicycle Twist and it is going to fire up your upper and lower abs, your obliques, and your hip flexors (hip flexors are the muscles that help raise your legs up). This move is a burner and it does take a bit of co-ordination and balance so don’t worry if you struggle with it a bit at first. Keep working at it and in time you will be “burning” through these! 😉
Let’s take a look at the key performance points of the Bicycle Twist.
- start by sitting up on your mat and leaning back at a 45 degree angle
- bend your legs, raise both feet off the floor, and put your hands behind your head
- engage your abs by squeezing your stomach throughout the movement
- from this starting position, extend your right leg while keeping your left leg bent
- while you are extending your right leg, twist your upper body and bring your right elbow towards your left knee
- return your right leg to the starting position and at the same time extend your left leg and bring your left elbow towards your right knee
- alternate back and forth for your desired amount of reps or time
- remember to keep your abs engaged, upper body at a 45 degree angle, and your feet off the floor throughout the entire exercise
So there you have the Bicycle Twist. It’s challenging and your abs will be screaming at you but it will be worth it!
Let me know how you do in the comments below or if you have any questions.
See you next week with another new exercise!