Hello! It’s time again for a new Home Exercise of the Week and this week I have another great plyometric lower body exercise for you to try called the In and Out Jump Squat.
The In and Out Jump Squat is going to work all the muscles of your lower body including glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps, and calf muscles. The jump component will also work your fast-twitch muscle fibers and give you a great cardiovascular workout which means a higher heart rate and more calories burned. Another benefit of this exercise is that the positioning of your feet during the squat will emphasize different muscles of your legs. When your feet are together, the focus will be put on your outer thighs and when your feet are wide, the focus will be on your inner thighs. So this is a great exercise to target different areas of the legs.
Let’s take a look at the key performance points of the In and Out Jump Squat.
- start by standing tall with your feet together
- squat down until your thighs are parallel to the floor while keeping your weight on your heels
- maintain a straight back and keep your knees in line over your toes (don’t let your knees push forward past your toes)
- from this squat position jump up as high as you can and when you are in the air, separate your feet and land from the jump in a wide stance
- immediately go back down in to a squat with the wide stance
- jump up as high as you can again and this time when you are in the air, bring your feet back together and land in the close stance and perform your squat
- keep alternating between the close and wide stance jump squats for your desired amount of reps or time
So there you have the In and Out Jump Squat. This is a tough one but you will be building strength and endurance as well as burning a ton of calories!
Let me know how you do in the comments below or if you have any questions.
See you next week with another new exercise!