If laying down on the floor and building some great looking arms sounds appealing to you then you will love this week’s Home Exercise of the Week. Of course laying down on the floor only won’t magically give you fantastic arms. There is some work involved and that work goes by the name of the Side Tricep Pushup!
The Side Tricep Pushup is a wonderful exercise that can be done anywhere with no equipment required. It can even be done in bed if your mattress is firm enough!
The primary muscles being targeted in this exercise are your triceps but you will be working your shoulders and core as well. People think you need to build huge biceps to have great looking arms but what gives your arms size and the most shape are your tricep muscles. They make up two thirds of your upper arm so if you want people to take notice of them, you will want to make sure that you are working your triceps regularly.
Ok so on to the key points to doing the Side Tricep Pushup effectively.
- lay on your side with your feet stacked on top of eachother
- place the hand of the arm you are laying on onto your opposite shoulder and tuck the hand of the working arm in to your armpit
- keep your hand flat on the floor throughout the exercise and push up through the palm of your hand
- you will want to try and get a full extension of the arm to fully activate your tricep muscles but this may be very difficult if you haven’t done this before. Press up as high as you can while keeping your hand flat and over time your strength will increase to the point that you will be able to get a full extension
- when coming back down you will want to stop just before your shoulder rests back down on the floor. This will keep constant tension on your triceps throughout the movement.
So there you have the Side Tricep Pushup. This is a great exercise to add in at the end of your upper body or arm workout to really burn them out! Try doing a couple of sets of as many reps as you can and I guarantee it will be hard to wash your hair the next day!