I have a challenging exercise for you today for the Home Exercise of the Week! If you’re a fan of pushups, the Stability Ball Pushup will add something new to your routine. If you don’t like pushups, well then you’re probably thinking wow I didn’t know they could get any worse than they already are!
Whether you like pushups or not, the Stability Ball Pushup is a great exercise that will work your chest, shoulders, and triceps. Since you are doing this exercise on a ball, you will also be working on your balance, core muscles, and all the little stabilizer muscles to keep you from flying off the ball.
If this is your first time trying the exercise, I recommend placing the ball against a wall which will make it easier to balance. As you get more comfortable with the exercise you can place the ball freely in the room. Also, you can start with a modified pushup from your knees if needed until you get stronger.
Some tips when performing the Stability Ball Pushup:
- grab the ball on the sides and squeeze it as you move down to increase the contraction in your pectoral muscles
- make sure your hands are in line with your chest throughout the movement
- keep your ab muscles tight at all times by pulling your belly button in towards your spine
- a wide foot position will increase your stability and if you feel that’s too easy then bring your feet together to work your core and stabilizers even more (at this point you’re probably thinking “yeah right Craig, let’s start with getting on the ball first!”)
- at the top of the movement, stop just before your arms are fully extended to keep tension on your pectorals throughout
So there you have the Stability Ball Pushup! Add this great exercise to your routine and you might impress people so much with your acrobatic feats that you get asked to join the circus!