Hey there! If you’ve been following my Home Workout of the Week blog, you’ll notice that I incorporate a lot of core work in to my routines. This week however, I’m going to show you an abdominal only workout that you can do on an off day or whenever you’re in a time crunch and want to just get a quick ab workout in to tighten up the core.
Training your core is very important as balance, posture, and back health have been linked to core health and your core is the foundation for all body movements whether you’re walking, running, playing sports, or carrying heavy objects.
Many people are sitting at a desk all day at work, then in their vehicles, and then at home on the couch without their core muscles engaged. An increasing sedentary lifestyle with no core involvement leads to many problems with back pain most likely at the top of the list. You can start to change this with something as little as sitting up straight and engaging your core by flexing your abdominals. To further strengthen your core, start incorporating core specific exercises in to your workout routine.
Your core is the most important in my opinion so give this Abdominal Workout a try and you’ll be on your way to improving your posture, balance, exercise and sport performance, and prevent back pain!
1 set of each exercise with little to no rest between
- In and Out Crunch – 15 to 20 reps
- Seated Ab Twist – 15 to 20 reps
- Side to Side Leg Raise – 20 reps
- Forward Bicycle – 20 to 25 reps
- Reverse Bicycle – 20 to 25 reps
- Crunchy Frog – 15 to 20 reps
- Cross Body Mountain Climber – 20 to 30 reps
- Plank Crawl – up and down mat for 30 to 40 seconds
- Side Plank – 25 to 30 seconds each side
- Oblique Crunch – 15 to 20 reps each side
- V Crunch – 15 to 20 reps
- Pulse Up – 15 to 20 reps