I hope you have all had a wonderful holiday season and I’m sure many of you have set some fitness resolutions for the new year so here is a Home Exercise of the Week to get you started. It’s called a Superman Back Row or Superman with a Back Squeeze as the video says.
The Superman Back Row is a great core exercise that targets your lower back muscles and works your upper back muscles at the same time.
Let’s take a look at how to do this exercise properly.
- lay face down on the floor with your arms straight ahead of you
- raise your arms and legs off the floor as much as you can while keeping your limbs straight the whole time
- slowly pull your elbows back until you feel a good squeeze on your shoulder blades then extend them forward again
- it can be challenging to breath while laying on your stomach but do the best you can to breath consistently. Exhale as your pull your elbows back and inhale as you extend them forward.
- start with 1 to 3 sets of 10 to 15 repetitions or 1 to 3 timed sets of 10 to 30 seconds
So there you have the Superman Back Row! A strong core is the foundation for strength and balance everywhere else so make sure to add this in to your routine in the new year!