Hey there, it’s time for a new Home Exercise of the Week! This week I have a TRX suspension trainer exercise for you to try called the TRX Mountain Climber.
The TRX Mountain Climber is a great ab exercise that primarily works your abdominals and to a lesser degree, your hip flexors and quadriceps. You will also be working your shoulders and triceps as they help to stabilize and hold you up throughout the movement. If you do this exercise at a quick pace you will get a cardio workout as well.
If you don’t have a suspension trainer then I highly recommend getting one. They are very handy to have as you can use it anywhere. You can hook it on to a door in your home or attach it to a tree in a park. As you can see in the video, I attached mine to a soccer net. You can still do mountain climbers effectively though if you don’t have a suspension trainer. The TRX just makes it a bit more fun and challenging!
Here are the key performance points for the TRX Mountain Climber.
- hang the TRX straps so they are about 6 inches off the floor
- place your feet in the stirrups so the tops of your feet are facing the floor
- place your hands on the floor in line with your chest and take your knees off the floor so that you are now in a full suspended plank position and in a straight line
- engage your abs, keep your body straight, and don’t let your hips sag down
- drive your right knee forward towards your chest while squeezing your abs
- as you bring your right knee back out, drive your left knee forward towards your chest
- alternate back and forth for the desired amount of reps or time
So there you have the TRX Mountain Climber. You might think I’m strange for saying this but this is one of my favourite TRX exercises and I find it a lot of fun even though it’s kicking my butt!
Give this ab exercise a shot and let me know how you do in the comments below or if you find this as fun as I do! 😉
See you next week with another new exercise.