Hey there, it’s time for a new Home Exercise of the Week! This week’s exercise is called a Single Leg Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift and it’s a great lower body exercise that will target your glutes, hamstrings, and lower back as well as working on balance and the stabilizer muscles of the ankle.
If you don’t have dumbbells, you can use any heavy object that is easy to hold on to or you can even do this without added weights and use your own body weight.
Let’s take a look at the key performance points of the Single Leg Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift.
- grab on to a pair of dumbbells and hold them at your side while standing tall
- lift your left foot off the floor and slightly bend your right knee
- keep your back straight, your shoulders back, and bend at the waist to descend in to the deadlift
- maintain the same slight bend in the right knee throughout the movement and let the weights hang freely from your arms
- push your hips back while bending down and push your right knee outward to keep it from caving in
- lower your upper body towards the floor until you feel a good stretch in the back of your right leg
- squeeze your glutes and come back up to the starting position until you are standing nice and tall
- keep your left foot off the floor as much as you can throughout your set unless you need to re-balance yourself
- complete for your desired amount of reps or time and then repeat for your left leg
So there you have the Single Leg Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift. Add this in to your lower or full body routine and in time you will feel stronger and have more balance.
Let me know how you like this exercise in the comments below or if you have any questions.
See you next week with another new exercise!