Hello, it’s time again for a new Home Exercise of the Week. This week I have another variation of everyone’s favourite exercise…the burpee! I call it the Burpee Medicine Ball Overhead Toss.
This variation of the burpee is going to give your core an extra challenge since you will be adding the instability of placing your hands on the ball when you’re in the full plank position. As with other burpees, you will also be working your legs, shoulders, and arms. The shoulders will get an extra workout as well with the overhead throw of the medicine ball. And don’t forget the cardiovascular conditioning you will get when your heart is pumping hard during this exercise!
Let’s take a look at the key performance points of the Burpee Medicine Ball Overhead Toss.
- crouch down and place a medicine ball down on the floor in front of you
- keeping your hands on the ball and under your chest, jump your feet back until you are fully extended in a full plank position
- keep your abs engaged to maintain your balance on the medicine ball
- from this full plank position, jump your feet back up and underneath you then pick the ball up and stand up while trying to keep your back as straight as possible (like standing up from a squat)
- once you are fully upright throw the medicine ball straight up over your head and then catch it on the way back down
- lower the ball to the floor and repeat the movement for your desired amount of reps or time
So there you have the Burpee Medicine Ball Overhead Toss. Add this fun variation of the burpee in to your full body routine and let the sweating begin!
Let me know how you do with this one in the comments below or if you have any questions.
See you next week with another new exercise!