It’s time for another Home Exercise of the Week! Get your legs and shoulders fired up with the Wall Sit Shoulder Press.
From the video, it may look simple enough but don’t let that fool you…this will burn! Grown men have almost cried because of the wall sit, curses have been vocalized through clenched teeth, and sweat has poured down grimaced faces. I know it sounds horrible and you might be thinking “Craig, why would I ever want to put myself through that?”.
Well the answer to your question is you will gain more strength and endurance in your legs, you will increase strength and mobility in your shoulders, and you will strengthen the deep core muscles of your trunk and your spinal muscles. All that plus if you’re weird like me, you might even think it’s fun! (Ok I’ll be honest…it’s more fun making people do it than actually doing it!)
The wall sit portion of this exercise is isometric which means you are working your muscles without any movement at the joint. This is great for building strength and endurance.
Some key points to remember when doing the Wall Sit Shoulder Press:
- make sure your knees are directly over your ankles
- slide down the wall until your thighs are parallel to the floor
- keep your back pressed firmly against the wall
- press your arms back against the wall as much as you can throughout the movement (you may not be able to maintain contact with the wall throughout the exercise at first but over time your mobility will increase)
- exhale as your press up and inhale as you lower your arms
So there you have the Wall Sit Shoulder Press. Start with a couple sets of 12 repetitions or a couple of timed sets of 30 seconds at the end your leg or shoulder workout and feel the burn!