HOME EXERCISE OF THE WEEK
The Medicine Ball Pop Up is a challenging plyometric pushup variation that’s going to work your chest, shoulders, triceps, core, balance, and coordination. This exercise is going to take some practice so take your time and start with a modified from-the-knees version if needed. You will need a medicine ball for this move but if you don’t have one you can also use a soccer or volleyball instead.
Let’s take a look at the key performance points of the Medicine Ball Pop Up.
- start by getting in to a full plank position with your hands on the medicine ball and the ball directly underneath your chest
- make sure your feet are wider than your shoulders to provide stability throughout the movement
- squeeze your abs and your glutes to keep your body nice and straight and to prevent your hips from dropping
- in one move, quickly remove your hands from the ball and out to the side so that you’re now in a pushup position
- lower your body down towards the ball until your chest is almost touching
- now pushup as hard and as fast as you can while bringing your hands back on top of the medicine ball
- pause for a moment to get your balance and then repeat the move
- make sure your abs and glutes are engaged throughout
- perform this move from your knees if you need to start with an easier version
So there you have the Medicine Ball Pop Up. Give it a shot and let me know how you do in the comments below or if you have any questions.
See you soon with another new exercise!