Hey there, it’s time again for a new Home Exercise of the Week! This time I have a great core and upper body exercise for you to try called the Superman Back Row Pushup.
The Superman Back Row Pushup works quite a few different muscle groups so there are a lot of benefits to this one. You will be working your upper and lower back, your glutes and hamstrings, your chest, shoulders, and triceps, and also your abdominals. If you suffer from lower back pain from sitting at a desk all day then this is the move to do to strengthen up those muscles. Often times, a little strengthening of the muscles of the lower back goes a long way to giving some back pain relief and prevent back pain in the future.
So let’s take a look at the key performance points of the Superman Back Row Pushup.
- start by laying face down on your mat with your arms fully extended over your head
- while keeping your head and neck in line with your spine, squeeze your glutes and lift your head, arms, and legs straight up as high as you can
- when you can’t lift any higher, pull your elbows back and squeeze your back muscles
- after getting a good flex in your upper back muscles, drop your hands down to the floor in line with your chest while lowering your feet back down to the floor at the same time
- now push your body up on to your hands and toes and stop just before your arms fully lock out
- lower your body back down to the floor and extend your arms over your head again while lifting up your legs and squeezing your glutes
- repeat for your desired amount of reps or time
- if you find it too challenging to do the full pushup, you can do the modified pushup from your knees as seen in the video demonstration
So there you have the Superman Back Row Pushup. This is one of my favourite exercises and it is a great one to add in to your upper body or full body routine.
Let me know how you do in the comments below or if you have any questions.
See you next week with another new exercise!