Hello there! It’s a new week and that means it’s time for a new Home Exercise of the Week! This time I have a heart pumping plyometric lower body exercise for you to try called the Split Squat Jump.
The Split Squat Jump works your quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, calves, all the stabilizer muscles of the ankles, and those fast-twitch muscle fibers which help with the explosive power of the movement. So there are quite a few muscles involved with this one which means more calories burned and you will also get quite a good cardiovascular workout on top of strengthening the muscles of the legs.
So let’s take a look at the key performance points of the Split Squat Jump.
- start by stepping one foot forward and one foot back until you have a nice wide stance with your toes pointed forward
- stand nice and tall and flex your abs to provide stability to your upper body
- now bend at both knees and lower your body straight down until your legs are at 90 degree angles
- keep your weight on your front heel as you lower your body and don’t let your front knee move forward past your toes (keep it in line with your front toes or slightly behind)
- from this lunge position, push through both feet and jump straight up as high as you can while maintaining that forward and back leg position
- land from the jump and go right back in to the lunge while keeping your body as upright as possible
- repeat for your desired amount of reps or time and then switch legs and repeat the movement for that side
- you can make this even more challenging by holding on to weights at your sides
So there you have the Split Squat Jump. It’s challenging, you’ll be huffing and puffing, and you’ll be sweating but it will be worth it as you will be building strength, power, endurance, muscle, and burning lots of calories in the process!
Let me know how you do in the comments below or if you have any questions.
See you next week with another new exercise!