Hey everyone! It’s time for a new Home Exercise of the Week and this week I have a plyometric lower body exercise for you to try. It’s called the Split Squat Jump and I won’t lie…this one is going to burn! Don’t let that scare you away though because the benefits outweigh the temporary discomfort.
The Split Squat Jump is going to target your quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, and calves. This will also help to improve your balance and the plyometric component of the exercise will burn more calories and help improve your cardiovascular conditioning.
Let’s take a look at the key points to doing the Spit Squat Jump properly.
- start in a lunge position with one foot in front of you and one behind
- maintain an upright position throughout the movement with your head up and shoulders back
- lunge down until both legs are at 90 degree angles
- from the bottom position, explode up quickly jumping in the air while maintaining your leg position
- land from the jump and immediately lunge down again and repeat
- do 10 to 12 reps on one side or for the desired amount of time then switch to the other side
So there you have the Split Squat Jump! Give it a try and let me know how you do. Work hard, stay healthy and I’ll see you next week with another new exercise!